Wednesday, February 7, 2018

What Is LIT RPG?



Okay, so I've been hearing about LIT RPG for a while now and my inner geek is overcome with wonder and excitement. I used to play a LIT RPG on Myspace (Yes, I'm that old, don't let the good looks fool you.) or so I thought. See in that forum, we played as comic book superheroes and villains (Some people played as wrestlers but I really think they just wanted to role play dates with the Bella Twins). I started doing this in 2006 and really didn't stop until like 2010, when I joined the military. It was a fun part of my life, which is why my eyes get all big when I see things about LIT RPG and now Horror/Survival LIT RPG. It feels like the universe is telling me "Do it Sylvester, eat that tide pod" In this case the pod would be RPG... Too soon?

So when I heard LIT RPG I thought, cool Myspace glory days. No, from everything I'm learning LIT RPG in book format is a whole different beast. See in the Myspace game, it was more like cosplay or role-play. I was Lex Luthor and I spent most my time trying to kill the heroes or just fuck up their birthday parties. So in that world, I was Lex and the world as I knew it was real. We had rules, to help the gameplay go smoothly:

You couldn't GodMod someone else's character (I.E move them without their permission)
If you died you had to stay dead for 3 days.
No Force Kills or One Shot Kills. 

That might have been all the rules I can remember, but it is in no way as detailed as LIT RPG seems to be, nor is the concept the same. While in my old hobby we were the characters, in LIT RPG the character knows they are in a game, and more or less you are reading or following someone as they use the rules and mechanics of the game against it. I still need to read one to fully understand the overall concept but it sounds fun as hell to me. 

Everything I learned so far came from youtube videos like this:


Do you guys have any favorite LIT RPGs that you think I should pick up? 

Or do you have any more info about the genre? 

Comment below.

Oh and shoutout to Angel Ramon author of his very own LIT RPG Survival Horror. I think it's gonna be the first I tryout.


No comments:

Post a Comment